Saturday, January 3, 2009

A New Year for Warhammer, Wishes and WAAAGH!


Hello everyone, and welcome to Grumble and Mutter. This is my inaugural post for this blog and for this year. As a gamer, I'm sure many of you are looking forward to the new year and the potential it brings. Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement of the new MDPS Careers for Dwarfs and Greenskins. I'm hoping for the Slayer and Choppa, myself. I'll be rolling up one of each for sure, which does not do my altitis any favors. Also, I'm sure you all have heard the rumors about official forums for Warhammer Online being implemented. I'm unsure where I stand on this issue, as a convincing argument can be made either way.


On another note, I've made a resolution for this year. I have decided to forego playing multiple alts and to focus on getting my two Destro characters to Rank 40 within the next 60 days. This was an idea I put forth in my guilds forums a little while ago, to help us focus and get more characters to max level. And so several of my guildies have now pledged to join the "60 days to 40" movement, and hopefully we can all reach this goal. We are pretty casual overall, but it never hurts to have a goal to shoot for. It's not a must-do, but rather a friendly challenge to ourselves in order to grow and prosper.


As far as wishes go, I really wish that populations stabilize across the realms and factions. Warhammer is a game that relies heavily on having a healthy, balanced population on a server for optimal RvR performance and enjoyment. The server transfers have alleviated this to a large degree. Indeed, both my guilds availed ourselves of this transfer and the consensus on both sides is that it was the right choice. We now enjoy much faster scenario queues as well as a larger and more active population, especially in Tier 4. I feel that Mythic should take the sometimes painful but necessary step of server mergers. Take several of the lowest pop servers and merge them into a few well-populated servers. Server ghost towns are fun for no one, especially in a game like this. 


I see that Mythic stands on the cusp of being the "best" alternative to the behemoth that is WoW. Mythic has the tools, they have a dedicated fanbase, competent developers and coders, and an amazing IP. Also, the fact that Mark Jacobs is a bona-fide fanatic about WAR doesn't hurt at all. They've shown that they are ready to tweak, patch and adjust what needs to be adjusted. They have done a commendable job of communicating with the player base, something that is especially refreshing if you come from WoW and remember Blue very rarely, if ever communicating with the players. They have shown their commitment to providing regular infusions of new content into the game. In three months, WAR has seen a major rebalancing patch, careers re-inplemented, and the ORvR Influence system introduced. Mythic has the potential to be a major player in the MMO scene, maybe even number one in the unforeseen future. I hope they achieve their goals, and bring us players along for the ride. I hope that we will all  be part of the WAAAGH!!


No comments:

Post a Comment