Friday, January 16, 2009

An Altoholic's Lament, and other Stories.

As I've said before, I'm an admitted altoholic. I have played and leveled eleven separate characters, spread over two servers and both factions. Currently, I've settled on my Black Orc and Ironbreaker, and I play a Black Guard as well, though not as often. However, I seem do be having the hardest time picking on an Order DPS career. On that note, I've leveled a Witch Hunter to 24, an Engineer to 19 and a White Lion to 11.


I constantly bounce around forums, reading up on the different careers and getting excited about them. But this also leaves me swapping characters very often, I'll get amped up and play one career for a while, then get excited about another one and shelve my current character. It also doesn't help that the Order DPS characters are widely believed to suffer from several issues. Now I say "widely believed", this is just opinion, and is only supported by feedback from players and the forums. Sometimes I agree with the perceived issues, sometimes not. My problems are as follows:


Engineer:

- Most viable tree is the AoE tree, Grenadier. Unfortunately, this tree does not really fit my playstyle, but is considered the best overall. It has a few issues, but has fewer problems than Rifleman or Tinkerer. Rifleman, the single-target tree, was recently buffed, but still has several bugs. This is the tree I would have played, but it has some issues with abilities not working properly, as well as abilities taking longer to cast than they should. And the Tinkerer tree getting Electromagnet nerfed pretty much killed it. Add to this the problem with landmines not deploying properly, turret issues and others. I still like the Engineer, but he needs several fixes to make him live up to his real potential.


White Lion:

- The WL is actually in pretty good shape, the main complaint is that the lion's survivability is very low, and if the lion dies the WL loses a lot of utility. Some players get around this by not using the lion at all and slotting the Loner tactic to supplement their damage. While this is a viable workaround, I feel that the lion needs to either be buffed, or have it's stats scale with it's masters' stats. Another issue is the apparent uselessness of several tactics, as well as certain tactics simply not working properly. Also, they are poncy elves.


Witch Hunter:

-The WH, while widely viewed as inferior to their mirror, the Witch Elf, is really not as gimped as many players believe. All three Mastery trees are considered viable, and each does well in their respective roles. The major complaint is that the WE Kiss system is viewed as being superior to the WH's Blessed Bullet system. This assertion is definitely arguable, with players on both sides coming up with figures that support either system as being "better". So for now, I'm going  to defer to my belief that equivalent complaints are a sign of good balance. The itemization for WH's could definitely use some tweaks. Where a Witch Elf only has to stack Strength as a primary stat, Witch Hunters have to get both Strength and Ballistic Skill, as STR determines the effectiveness of their melee attacks and some Executions, while BS affects their pistol Executions. Now WH's have a naturally high BS value to compensate, but I can't help but wonder if instead Mythic could implement a system where a portion of their STR value was added to their Ballistics. This is similar to how Shadow Warriors in Assault Stance have their Ballistics from items also count towards their STR. Something like that would simplify gearing for the WH, as well as be a minor buff overall.


Slayer/Choppa: 

These guys are actually a really big reason I have trouble sticking to a DPS alt. You see, in the back of my mind the knowledge that these careers are going to be announced and re-implemented soon is putting a serious damper on my desire to get really into one of my current alts. I'm holding back, mentally at least, until I can see just what the new careers will be and how they'll work. Even though I have my own theories about them, nothing is set in stone until they are introduced. Only then will I be able to impartially gauge all the careers and finally figure out what I want to go with. And maybe not even then, heh. 


Hopefully, it won't be too long until the announcement. I really just wish they'd hurry it up and give us some news that we can theoryhammer about. Honestly, sometimes I feel that I enjoy theorizing about careers, mastery builds and abilities more than actually playing the game? But I guess it's because WAR so fully engages my imagination that I enjoy playing it so much.

2 comments:

  1. i dont have an engineer i have a magus. once i got him to 30 i went into the equivlant of the tinkerer tree for Rift/electromagnet.

    I understand that it was nerfed but until you use it in its current form will you understand why it needed it and why it is AMAZING still.

    heres what most people dont think about or use and why they dislike it. you have to use your overload/instability on your turret.

    So here is my rotation for screwing a whole team over.
    1) summmon pet/turret.
    2) move into position, cast resummon to bring pet.
    3) cast rift/EM.
    4) spam your instability/overload as soon as they land.
    5) AOE everything.

    What has happened here is that your pull and your 5s KD dont share the same cooldown. so you have just pulled in 6 people and knocked them down for 5s. That is tide changing if you even have a couple competant people to help you AOE them down. If people just use rift and hope it to make people die then they are wrong but a combination of skills makes it truly powerful, and makes me giggle everytime i pull half their team and they all die. when this happens it basically breaks the scenario for the other team for the rest of the game. show me another skill that can cause this kind of havok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't aware the 2 did not share immunity timers. But yeah, that combo sounds crazy painful.

    ReplyDelete