Monday, February 2, 2009

The end is in sight, Rank 40 this week?

I just hit Rank 38 last night on my Ironbreaker, somewhere in Dwarf Chapter 19. I'm finally feeling closer to the end of the leveling road. I hope to hit 40 this week. I'm pretty stoked, even though I really don't have any cool new abilities coming up, aside from a few tactics and the default rank 4 Morale. Oh yeah, I do get my movement barb at 40. 


On my Black Orc though, I did get to Rank 31 and I'm preparing to start questing my way through Tier 4, but I will admit to a bit of burnout. Leveling tanks can be a very tedious process, especially in PvE. I'm considering speccing into Da Boss Mastery for the WAAAAGH! AoE ability so that I can start AoE grinding. However one of the main abilities for AoE grinding is not attained until Rank 35. So I may do some theoryhammering about the spec until I feel ready for it. 


This does touch onto a sore subject for me, the leveling curve. I'm coming to the conclusion that the leveling curve in WAR is tuned too slow in Tier 4. Now, I do recall that Mythic just buffed the xp curve from 20-33 if I remember correctly, so maybe I need to just power through those levels on the Blorc. Also I may not be completely objective on this subject. The deal is that I can only play nights and I try to play at least 2-3 characters every night, so when the leveling curve slows down I perceive it to be worse than it actually is since I make less progress in my allotted time. However I'm sure that if I actually sat down and computed the xp gained per hour while accounting for the increased xp needed per level, I would find out that I'm still making decent progress.  


Other than that, leveling multiple characters is a daunting undertaking. The game really tries to reward you for investing a lot of time into a particular character. Acquiring gear, trophies, leveling professions and raising renown ranks all come into play with a single character. Also in a strange way, the banking and bag system is a factor. I'm always having problems juggling bag and bank space, especially if the character is a crafter. I've had to take close to half an hour to reorganize my bags. Granted this doesn't happen often, but the bag and bank stuff can be irritating. 


My goal is to level three characters. A tank, a melee dps and a ranged dps. The tank is coming along nicely, my Shadow Warrior is in the middle of T2 at the moment, and of course the Slayer will be my third. I'm just worried that I'll still be leveling characters when the Tomb Kings are released, heh. In any case I'll be toughing it out in the coming weeks and with any luck I'll be hitting 40 for the very first time this week.


Edit: Oh yeah, finally picked a name for the Slayer, I'll post it next time, gotta reserve it first.

4 comments:

  1. I consider there to be 2 sub tiers in t4
    30-35 and 36-40.

    In the 2nd sub tier leveling definitely seems to go slower, perhaps this is because WaR gives big bonuses for taking on mobs and players of a significantly higher than your own level.
    But equally after you hit 36 you can wear 90% of armor which drops from keeps & open RvR and have access to the the end talents of the careers.

    its like the game speeds to you to 36 gives you the full range of ability's and access to armor and then says "ok the last levels are up to you"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll agree about the mob xp being so much better with even con or higher mobs. The rate at which xp drops off with lower leveled mobs is really atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hit 20 on my toon as well. Hoping the xp curve isn't as horrible as it used to be. Good luck with the leveling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odd, because I was thinking the opposite. The early 30's seemed like a bear to me, and the late 30's I've relatively raced through. I'm just a couple percent from 39, and hope to be a quarter to half way to 40 after playing for a few hours tonight. I stopped focusing on ORvR and have just been doing quests from chp 18+ for the last week or so. Crap, I just rememberd I still have my bonus exp/renown tome to use!

    ReplyDelete